The BBC’s Children’s team deliver amazing digital experiences that inform, educate, entertain and inspire the nation’s children.
We provide some of the UK’s most popular websites and apps, which bring to life the globally renowned CBeebies and CBBC brands.
Our apps are some of the most popular apps for kids and are consistently in the top 5 of their categories in the app stores (see links below for examples).
Based in Bridge House at MediaCityUK, we work in a relaxed, collaborative environment, organised in cross-functional, agile teams. We’re focussed on creating world-class experiences for our young audience.
As a Principal Engineer, you will help architect, design, develop, deploy and operate web/mobile products that are used by millions of users. You‘ll be contributing hands on across multiple teams while leading technical projects delivered by both internal and 3rd party teams. We are looking for someone who can drive development and delivery, build sound architecture and foster best practices while mentoring other engineers to grow.
We don’t expect anyone to have experience of all the below, this just gives an example of the technologies and practices we value:
- Drive best engineering practices within your team(s), define and teach practices such as CI/CD, TDD, cloud architectures and pair/mob programming
- Work hands on in a team
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise
- Be a department-level expert in a particular area or go-to person for solving problems in your domain of expertise
- Mentor other engineers
- Be part of the BBC-wide mobile developer community driving and influencing our key engineering decisions across the company
Are you the right candidate?
- Have led technical projects
- Have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment
- Can gain a deep understanding of the product and business goals, which you can translate into a technical solution
- Have experience in mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practises
- Actively invest in your technical skills and leadership abilities
- Have a deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions
- Take initiative in building and shipping high quality code
- Have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.