Key facts about the role
Reporting to: Head of Architecture
Business function: Digital
Flexible working options for this role: 36.25 hour week, condensed hours, part-time hours, working from home
From day 1, you’ll be able to contribute to the Covéa Insurance purpose which is ‘To help people protect against the worst happening and put it right if it does’.
Our team’s mission is to turn internal and related third party data into an asset to enable revenue growth and to improve operational efficiency by better AI-Driven inferencing and automation.
We continually work on our mission by:
- Rapidly experimenting on ideas to produce model prototypes or failing fast on them
- Translating successful prototypes into production quality models and frequently releasing them
- Working in partnership with our technology and business leadership to help them realise the value in their data
- Engage in innovative research and development activities that accelerate our development of a world leading data science capability and contribute material back to industry and academia.
What would you be responsible for in this role?
- To work in a cross-functional agile team to prove out key hypotheses and deliver production quality machine learning models based on prioritised business needs and/or direct insight from data
- Within the team, lead the intellectual process of developing a model including exploring datasets in ambiguous problem spaces
- Work closely with stakeholders from the business and in the digital teams to shape the problem by leading workshops and specifying any technical work required
- Lead to achieve targeted model explainability to suit the business need
Other aspects of your role:
- Champion using the latest methods and well established practices to develop our portfolio of machine learning techniques
- Engaging with data ethics, information security and numerous other functions to ensure the quality and confidence in our work
- Become a key member of the Data Science Council to triage project ideas and propel data’s value to all parts of the business.
- Make sure that you treat all our customers with the principles of Treating Customers Fairly (TCF)
- Understand how you play a part in the Customer Experience
- Provide a service to all of our customers (internal and external) that is memorable for the right reasons and builds our reputation as a great company to work for and do business with
Doing the right thing
- Make sure that everything you do fits in with the legal requirements, Covéa Insurance policies and regulatory requirements
- Be aware of threats to our organisation and customers (e.g. financial crime, fraud and money laundering)
- Take the appropriate action to minimise the impact of risks to our business (e.g. by following processes and reporting any concerns to your manager)
- Treat the personal data of our customers, employees and other individuals lawfully and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and other related legislation
What would we like to see in you?
Experience and knowledge
- ü A minimum of 2 years hands-on experience working as a data scientist in a business environment and/or qualification to masters level with a significant mathematical/statistical or computing content
- ü Experience in using SAS Viya and other tools such as TensorFlow, pyTorch, Notebooks, and Pandas coupled with machine learning knowledge
- ü Working experience with Python/R/SAS
- ü Comfortable working at all stages in the data science life cycle including shaping the problem, data collection and cleansing, exploratory modelling, model deployment, and model quality assurance.
- ü Able to articulate the value of various models in terms of return on investment and efficiency savings
- ü Knowledge and insight into complex data architecture issues and solutions
- Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) preferred skills include, IT Governance, Information Systems Co-ordination, Innovation, Enterprise and Business Architecture development, Emerging Technology Monitoring, Solution Architecture, Stakeholder Management, Systems Design, Database Design, Systems Integration, Supplier Relationship Management
- ü Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to engage and communicate with the Covea Senior Leadership team, Development Scrum teams, and the business.
- ü Able to work in a time-boxed way for exploratory work
Nice to have
- ü Exposure to data lake technologies and event streaming solutions
- Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) other skills include, Technical Specialism, Business Process Improvement
- ü An understanding of how data science works in an agile delivery environment
- ü Establishes and maintains constructive and collaborative relationships with all business areas
- ü Demonstrates pragmatic judgement, balancing risk and business value to reach decisions which are well informed and actionable
- ü Is proactive in planning to achieve targets and objectives which deliver profitable outcomes
- ü Continuously and proactively improves the quality of service delivered to all customers, external, internal and business partners
- ü Willingly takes the initiative and consistently does more than is required
- ü Respects individual’s views and positively contributes to a learning environment in which individuals are supported and encouraged to excel
- ü Continually asks what more could it be and inspires others to do likewise
- ü Behaves consistently and with integrity at all times, realising everyone’s potential to get the best possible result and live the values
What’s on offer?
- ü Competitive salary and benefits package
- ü Opportunities for growth and development
- ü Supported on boarding and induction
- ü 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- ü A great work-life balance
Where would you be based?
Our brand new office in Halifax, West Yorkshire is A&B Mill
at Dean Clough. It’s a recently converted Grade II listed mill
on a fantastic site; the building has bags of character combined
with hi-tech, modern features that reflect our fun and vibrant culture.
Location wise, the office is within walking distance from Halifax
station and is a stone’s throw from a brand new gym, atmospheric
bars and restaurants (many of which offer discounts to employees).
Approximately 500 employees are based in our Halifax office.
What else could you be part of at Covéa Insurance
We truly believe that having fun at work brings out the best in people and are passionate about having a positive impact on our local communities.
Our Charity group, Green team, Wellbeing group and Employability team are opportunities for our employees to channel their passion to make the world a better place (whether it be encouraging people to car share, raising money for our charity partners through a bake off or helping young people feel more confident about their first interview).
You bring the attitude, we’ll give you the development
What would it be like to work here?
As one of our team, you will instantly see that our culture and values provide the foundation for everything we do.
Making sure that Covéa Insurance is a great place to work is a 365 day activity for us. We want our people to feel motivated, supported and fulfilled at work and have a good work-life balance.
We live our values, not only making Covéa Insurance a great place to work but also a great company for our customers to deal with.
Everyone has the opportunity to join our organisation and reach their full potential, regardless of their background, personal circumstances or the role that they began their Covéa Insurance career in.