DWP Digital - Manchester
These roles will be based in either Blackpool, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle or Sheffield. Please find further information on the Corporate hub locations here.
About the job
Are you a Software Engineer looking to utilise best in class cutting edge technologies to develop and deliver products?
Do you want to use your skills and experience to help deliver high value applications and processes to a wide variety of stakeholders, supporting DWP’s digital transformation?
Are you looking for ongoing professional development, working towards new qualifications and learning from colleagues across DWP and the wider community of practice?
Our Software Engineers build and run applications as part of a multi-functional agile delivery teams.
What really excites the successful candidate is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users.
The candidate will be expected to draw value from collaboration with others, actively seek input from colleagues and value a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
Our Software Engineers are experienced developers who would like to continue to build and support well tested services to our users.
You will follow best practice and work in teams that deliver quality software products.
You will work as part of multidisciplinary teams, in collaboration with architects and engineers, to design and build software products that make up services used by millions of people.
You will focus on operational stability, robustness, resilience, availability and quality for the code you and your teams produce.
The responsibilities are outlined in the job description above.
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact email@example.com.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
- An employer pension contribution of up to 27% For further information please click here.
- Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern).
- Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
- Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
National Salary for this role is from £38,469 (Band min) to £41,480 (Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £41,480 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £15,000 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Stage 1: Application
Applications must include:
- A completed Personal Details application form.
- A curriculum vitae including education, professional qualifications and full employment history, giving details of key achievements.
When giving details in your CV you should highlight your experience in line with essential criteria below:
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure.
- A good understanding of TDD and BDD.
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
When giving details of your CV, you should therefore include details of the work and projects that you have been involved in, and your role therein.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
Applications will be sifted at regular intervals from the date the posts are advertised. Please apply as soon as you can, do not wait until the end of the campaign.
- Please attach your CV as a separate additional document in either PDF or word format.
- Personal details that could be used to identify you including your name, contact details and address must be removed for your application to be considered.
- Please do not include any personal details in your document title.
- If your CV contains any personal details your application will be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Coding Test
Candidates who are successful at sift will be sent a coding test to complete remotely. The exercise will focus on the technical skills listed in the essential criteria of this advert. Full details will be sent to candidates when the exercise is issued. Candidates will have 7 days to complete the test from the date of receipt.
Candidates that are not successful in the technical exercise will not progress to the interview stage.
Stage 3: Interview
If you’re successful after the Coding Test you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the experiences listed in the essential criteria above.
Sift and interview dates to be confirmed.
View the full job advertisement here: Software Engineer - Civil Service Jobs - GOV.UK
More jobs at DWP Digital
Posted by DWP Digital
A Day In The Life: Lindsay Stephens, Lead Service Designer, DWP Digital
Lindsay Stephens is a Lead Service Designer at DWP Digital. We spoke to her to find out more about this role, her experience at DWP Digital and what an average day looks like.