We’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We’re home to some of the most important public services in the United Kingdom and are transforming how we use data and technology to improve these. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, ensure applications and delivery of passports is efficient and developing and supporting a wide variety of GOV.UK services such as getting married or forming a civil partnership or applying for a visa.
We develop over 500 services which have millions of users worldwide.
What we're offering
This is a real greenfield development opportunity, you’ll be working on triaging ‘new stuff’, as well as leading the implementation of new systems in a number of really critical areas. This work will be delivered in an agile manner, working with multi-disciplinary teams and across a variety of business areas.
As a Senior Developer you’ll take ownership over the products, features and services your team looks after, being curious at heart with a desire to make things better. You’ll prioritise the focus on being one team with a passion for nurturing, coaching and sharing your knowledge with others whilst ensuring high quality code is delivered in line with project goals and delivery cycles and thrive using agile methods.
Your key areas of impact will be
- Delivering secure, reliable and scalable software in your team; undertaking a breadth of development tasks
- Designing new software using appropriate tools and in line with standards, proving designs through prototyping
- Reporting on system performance and supporting test activities; keeping documentation up to date
- Supporting services, you have delivered through regular maintenance activities, balancing your work with your leadership
- Working with other engineers to deliver new capability, for instance improved CI/CD pipelines or test approaches
- Act as a digital ambassador, supporting recruitment, identifying good practices for Home Office to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g. through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc.
🚀 Our engineering culture 🚀
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality.
- agile principles
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- pairing smartly
- infrastructure as code
Who you are 🔎
You'll be a developer who is confident developing applications, passionate about making a difference and want to be involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution, and shipping whilst having experience with:
- working within an agile environment
- knowledge of full software delivery lifecycle
- knowledge and experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- environment – cloud-based approach (AWS, Azure, Docker and Kubernetes)
Some of the benefits our engineers love
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of about 27%
- 35 days leave including public holidays, rising further with service
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- training and development opportunities
- interest free season ticket loan
- an in-year bonus scheme
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity