Developer – Front End (FTC) Fixed Term Contract 12 Months
Location: Manchester based contract operating a flexible working policy
Now is the time
The Future at Lloyd’s strategy is where we seize the moment. It’s where we create and realise opportunities, and where you can discover our vision for tomorrow. That means professional opportunities with an international reach, as we set out to evolve our marketplace, and deliver easier, simpler and better interactions and transactions for both customers and employees.
Working at Lloyd’s on the Future at Lloyd’s strategy
Time moves on, and at Lloyd’s simply staying current isn’t enough. As the world’s leading insurance and reinsurance marketplace, we need to be the most forward-thinking and innovative in every respect. That means continually improving our customer-focused marketplace, it means digitisation – a technological transformation. Combining data, technology and new ways of working is the Future at Lloyd’s strategy.
Part of our evolution involves growing our team, and bringing in a range of views, perspectives and backgrounds that will allow us to deliver this transformational culture. That relies upon open and trusting relationships, and a shared vision for that continual improvement. The is an environment where new perspectives are encouraged, where resilience, fresh ideas and different opinions are valued.
This role is a software engineering role in the Digital Office, reporting to the Development Lead – Digital Channels, delivering front end tools and components. This is central to the delivery of the future of the Lloyd’s and delivery capabilities within the Digital domain.
The role is responsible for front end software development to support the delivery of digital channels offerings to the Market and the public as part of the transformation of Lloyd’s described in The Future at Lloyd’s
- Working within an Agile team, creating scalable software solutions in the delivery of digital products and services
- Support and help drive the adoption of test-driven and behaviour-driven development frameworks, along with continuous delivery and automation testing
- Ensure the quality of code is met through the use of unit, integration and acceptance testing and perform appropriate tuning/refactoring to ensure the system performs to its specification
- Collaborate with the DevSecOps team to build “secure by design” solutions in line with product goals and objectives
- Conduct and promote the use of peer reviews to provide feedback to developers within the team Identify improvement areas in the delivery process and make recommendations
Skills & Knowledge
- Expertise in building front-end Single Page Applications with React
- Good knowledge of common React libraries (Redux, react router etc).
- Good knowledge and handling of common React patterns (HOC, render props, Provider pattern, Container / Presentational components etc).
- Knowledge of common React principles (immutability, pure functions, functional / class components, pure components, change detection, composition etc).
- Understanding of and experience with RESTful web services and API design
- Decent technical writing skills for documentation
- Good understanding of data structures and solid computer science fundamentals
- General knowledge of common challenges in front-end development (eg: browser behaviour and limitations, front-end application optimisations, etc).
- Advocate of general engineering best practices (eg: domain driven code architecture, encapsulation, separation of concerns, single responsibility, clean code practices etc).
- Knowledge of common design patterns (eg: pubsub, module pattern, dependency injection etc).
- Awareness of common front-end styling paradigms (eg: css modules, css in js).
- Knowledge of general front-end tooling (eg: Nodejs, npm).
- Experience with structuring and writing unit tests.
- Experience with setting up and writing end to end tests.
- Git or other similar distributed SCM systems
- Experience of working within cross-functional Agile teams
- Experience of a working within an Agile delivery framework e.g. Scrum, Kanban, DSDM
- All our employees, are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- 25 days annual leave
- Pension (up to 15% of base salary)
- Personal performance bonus (up to 17% of base salary)
- A further market award bonus (up to 9% of base salary, based on Lloyd’s market and Corporation metrics)
- Private health cover
- Life assurance (12 x base salary)
- A competitive and current flexible benefits offering which can be tailored to your own requirements
Realise your professional ambitions as part of an organisation that is trusted to solve some of the world’s most complex problems in an environment that puts a focus on sharing risk to create a braver world.
Please be aware that the recruitment process will comprise of several steps where your CV will be reviewed by our Recruitment team and if successful you will be invited to attend a telephone interview, followed by a more in-depth video interview. We want to make sure we do all we can to make this a positive experience for you. Please click the following link which will take you through a simple process to identify any adjustments or additional support we can provide beforehand or on the day.
Please note, clicking on this link does not register your application for the vacancy, you will need to click on the “apply” button on the top left-hand side of the advert to complete your application.