Line managing and overseeing our team of Software Developers, this role will ensure our software developers are able to work efficiently and effectively. You will ensure appropriate workloads and content are allocated across the team, and work to make knowledge effectively shared and communicated both within the team and across the business.
You will work with each developer to ensure continued personal development and progression, identifying training and education opportunities.
You will also support other senior members of the developer and wider technical team to help direct and shape the team, and ensure changes are well communicated and managed for your developers.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
Communication – act as conduit for information flow between the developer team, the technical team and the business; keeping the team informed of upcoming changes, work and direction of travel; provide information on the software team to Heads of Teams, and Exec members: blockers, concerns, status reports, metrics etc.
Line management and staff development: scheduling and carrying out one-to-ones with team members in line with the NWEH Personal Development Review (PDR) process
Resource management: working with project managers and Head of Technology to manage developer team resources across current and upcoming projects
Recruitment: assist with job descriptions, short listing, interviewing and induction, helping to bring in new talent to strengthen the team
Pastoral: Ensuring happiness and morale levels in the team remain high, providing mentorship, support and identifying areas for continual improvement and training opportunities. Foster and preserve a good culture within the team and beyond, ensuring a positive attitude, fairness and recognition are promoted whilst protecting the team from burnout and undue stress.
Process: manage support and deployment rotas, ensuring sufficient coverage during holiday periods and that non-development duties are shared fairly across the team. Put in place, review, and revise effective processes and best practices across the team.
Mediation: providing an impartial objective opinion and a listening ear during technical discussion and decision making.
Meetings and audit: represent the development team during high-level and meetings and audits.
Public relations: promoting the reputation of the team and the business to encourage local talent. Establish links with local developer groups, colleges, and universities to engage with appropriately qualified new graduates.
- A good degree in a relevant subject
- At least 5 years of experience working in the software development industry
- At least 5 years of experience leading technical teams and line management
- Familiarity with modern web programming concepts and technologies (ASP.NET, C# and Angular a bonus)
- Familiarity with cloud technologies (Azure a bonus)
- Experience of recruiting; writing job descriptions, short-listing, and interviewing
- A track record of successful line management covering mentoring, motivating, objective setting, training, and performance management
- Demonstrable experience of delivering technical work within time and budget constraints
- Excellent understanding of software development lifecycle, particularly the full release process and associated risks and challenges
- Experience of agile and waterfall methodologies, and the use of scrum and Kanban
- Proven experience of conflict resolution and negotiation
- Previous experience leading a team of software developers
- Some technical proficiency with C#/Angular/ASP.NET/Git
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools; JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket and Bamboo
- Understanding of DevOps and the associated benefits
- Understanding of clinical trials, GCP and GxP
- Exposure to software testing and requirements analysis
- Listening and empathy
- Professional and committed to delivery
- Technical knowledge and experience
- Collaboration and team working
- Solution oriented
- Passion for technology and innovation
- Competitive Salary
- 27 day’s annual leave
- Flexible working hours
- The ability to work from home
- Modern offices in Central Manchester
- Positive and supportive environment
- Access to training resources
- Exposure to different industries
- Access to collaborative workspace
- Stakeholder Pension