The Rio Ferdinand Foundation is recruiting a full-time Youth Worker to lead the delivery of our youth engagement and empowerment programmes focusing on digital/tech skills development in Oldham.
The role will be responsible for the implementation and delivery of the following themes of work:
- Targeted online & face to face youth engagement and outreach programmes using sports, arts and digital media to build relationships with young people aged 13-25 from vulnerable and disadvantaged communities in Oldham.
- Co-design and delivery of specific digital and tech youth engagement programmes with local young people, our youth advisory board and partners from Oldham.
- Working in partnership to develop new opportunities for young people into further training, education and employment pathways within digital / tech industries.
- With key responsibilities around programme delivery, monitoring and evaluation this full-time role will also support the development of relationships with project partners and employers/stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be required to complete an Enhanced DBS disclosure.
KEY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES (not in priority order)
- Recruit, organise and lead creative workshops, events and engagement activities (involving sports, arts and media) with new cohorts of young people from targeted and marginalised communities in Oldham. Leading onto;
- Specific digital and tech related workshops, accredited training, events, work placements etc. to a variety of young people with varying levels of abilities and needs.
- Recruit and support a variety of targeted youth groups including BAME, NEET’s, Young Carers, Looked After Children, young people affected by adversity & trauma – violence, abuse & neglect; young offenders and those needing mental health and wellbeing support.
- Develop/support our Youth Advisory Board, hosting meetings with young people to ensure youth voice/representation.
- Attend monthly Governance meetings and report back any learning/data as requested by Programme Manager.
- Devise appropriate and sensitive action plans to support young people through their developmental journey including 1-2-1 meetings, focused groups, emails/phone calls etc.
- Facilitate the participation of young people in the planning, fund raising and delivery of youth-led sports, arts or media projects.
- Work in partnership with local services and provision to ensure RFF is linking into and enhancing local opportunities for young people in Oldham.
- Assist the Programme Manager to locate and support sessional staff/facilitators within a range of accredited and non-accredited training / events / workshops for young people.
- Assist the Programme Manager in the development of new/existing partnerships/stakeholders for the programme.
- Lead on monitoring for programmes and initiatives, including completing all registers/consent forms, updating and maintaining RFF’s online secure system and provide any supporting information for evaluation purposes i.e. case studies to Programme Manager.
- Lead and create youth-led online content and media for the purposes of RFF’s communications, promotions and evaluation.
- Promote the profile of RFF and our engagement programmes through public speaking events, taster sessions, meetings, conferences.
- Source and refer young people onto progression pathways within either further volunteering, training, employment or enterprise.
- Ensure compliance with RFF polices in relation to health and safety, equal opportunities and working with volunteers and young people.
- Work flexibly where appropriate on evening, weekends and during school holidays to ensure full and supportive delivery of the programme.
- Work with Programme Manager to deliver programmes within budget/timescales
- Undertake new training to develop work related skills and knowledge
- Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of the post and the evolution of the Foundation, as may reasonably be requested by the Programme Manager.
- Work with due regard for RFF’s core values and objectives
- Ensure the effective implementation of, and adherence to RFF’s Equal Opportunities, Child Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Have at least two years’ experience of delivering creative youth work programmes across multiple/complex communities.
- Have excellent knowledge in relation to social issues and challenges faced by young people and communities across Greater Manchester.
- Have at least two years’ experience of engaging and mentoring young people from a variety of complex backgrounds and diverse communities.
- Evidence a strong digital skills base and confidence using a range of software and applications such as wordpress, canva, Adobe (Photoshop, Indesign, Premier Pro), and a willingless to suggest or learn other digital tools which may be useful to the programme.
- A strong working knowledge of social media channels and apps
- Have an understanding of digital / tech industries and importance of using youth work to raise awareness of opportunities within this area to develop young people’s ambitions.
- Clearly demonstrate an ability to build trusting relationships and deliver high quality sports, arts, media activities for young people.
- Have experience in facilitation, monitoring and evaluating projects and demonstrate an understanding and experience of managing information using computer software/systems.
- Evidence a skills base in networking and building new partnerships with the voluntary and statutory sectors.
- PC literate using MS Office (word, excel, power point, outlook)
- Evidence an ability to coordinate sessional staff and volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills, able to use initiative and manage multiple work loads
- Proactive, resilient and able to work well within a close-knit team.
- Express a willingness to work out of office hours including weekends, evenings and some bank holidays if needed.
- Interest in photography and film with video editing skills (desirable)
- Experience of using Adobe CC Suite including skills in Indesign and Photoshop (desirable)
- Car driver and clean drivers’ license (desirable)
How to apply:
If you’re interested in the above role, please submit your CV and cover letter (max 2 pages) explaining your suitability in line with the person specification by 5pm on Thursday 30th July.
Successful applicants will be contacted and invited to interviews which will take place from 10th August.
Anticipated start date of 14th September or before.
Expected start date: 14/09/2020
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: £21,000.00 - £25,000.00 per year
- Casual Dress
- Company Pension
Monday to Friday
These programmes will include online remote delivery (digital workshops and initiatives) as well as fully risk assessed face to face delivery with PPE and other precautions as necessary.
creative youth work: 2 years (Required)
mentoring young people: 2 years (Required)