Senior Data Engineer - £64,000 + Bonus - Manchester - Utilities
They are experiencing a period of consistent growth, and so are now strengthening their foundations – their systems and their behaviours. Big things are happening and they’re looking for talented people comfortable with a data and digital technologies to join them on this journey.
Their culture is defined by their people – it is a place where you can be yourself. They are friendly, enthusiastic, helpful and purposeful. They encourage everyone to have a learning mindset, challenge respectfully, have a bias for action and to make evidence-based decisions. In return you can expect to receive the right mix of challenge and support for your role, your wellbeing and ambitions.
The Data Engineering team spends most of its time building/maintaining a Python infrastructure which is used throughout the COD/Risk departments. A key focus of the team is building/maintaining Python models for the Forecasting department. The production of demand forecasts is relatively complex and includes management/transformation of large datasets and machine learning
The Senior Data Engineer will mainly spend their time doing project work, such as re-building specific steps/modules ; around 20% of their time will be around maintaining the existing codebase, ensuring that the code has run successfully (resolving when there has been an error), and supporting reasonable requests from the business for example an ad-hoc forecast or providing data.
The Senior role indicates that the Engineer will take ownership for the design and implementation of projects, and will support junior Engineers in gaining familiarity/competence with the codebase. The Senior also indicates a higher expectation for technical competence/delivery than the Data Engineer role.
Around 80% of your time is expected to be spent on project work, including:
- Working with your team/manager/external stakeholders to identify & prioritize projects. In the next 18 months your projects are likely to be focused on re-building the infrastructure for the Forecasting models. For example, you build a “global issuer” or help us to use a cloud-based platform to fit the machine-learning models
- Project planning, and design. You will normally be expected to complete a simple design/methodology document, and a simple timeline as part of the project
- Implement/complete the project, including testing. Keep your team/manager updated about progress, particularly if there are delays/issues
- Support junior engineers where appropriate
The other 20% will be day-to-day BAU/maintenance including:
- Checking that all the forecasts/reports have run as expected. Investigate/resolve where there are errors
- Supporting wider team/python userbase in deploying code, reviewing new code/pull requests
- Infrastructure upgrades such as migrating the hard drive, upgrading/replacing in-house servers, and upgrading Python (e.g. 3.6 -> 3.8)
- Managing/maintaining Data Access pipelines, adding new data sources from APIs / new file flows where relevant
- Managing/maintain the tools used for the monitoring and analysis of internal data sets and automated processes
- Supporting the Data Scientists in their research, and to implement new machine-learning models
- Liaise with stakeholders in the wider business to help improve data quality, advise on data strategy
- and understand existing processes
- To be aware of and comply with all company policies and procedures, including but not limited to the Gazprom Energy Data Protection policy, Equal Opportunities policy, and the Email and Internet Acceptable Usage Policy, in addition to Fire and Health and Safety Regulations.
- The role holder may also be required to carry out any other duties within the scope and purpose of this role as requested by their line manager and in line with business needs.
- Strong programming in Python
- Application design & analysis
- Codebase management, including GIT and documentation
- Strong maths, with intermediate understanding of regression/clustering
- Ability to work well within a team of Data Engineers while also being able to take on individual responsibilities where required.
- Eagerness to learn newly emerging technologies and methodologies.
- Knowledge of a Data Engineer’s key roles and responsibilities and how they fit within a wider team of developers.
- Desirable: Expertise/experience of machine-learning, and working with data scientists
Apply today and take the next step in your career!
Please note due to high volumes of applications unfortunately we are not always able to respond to all unsuccessful applicants. However we wish everyone who applies the very best with their job search.