You will be part of a purpose-driven team with a passion for innovation and an appreciation for Agile principles. To cultivate an environment where everyone can thrive, we foster an inclusive team culture where each individual has a voice and is empowered to take initiative, and where we care for one another. While we have been growing internationally, our colleagues across Europe and Asia remain connected through distributed project work and our “One Zuhlke” culture.
As a privately held company run by engineers, we prioritise your continuous development and education. With life-long learning a priority, we invest 10% of our turnover in developing skills and services in an agile way – matching your needs and those of the company.
Our promise to employees and clients emphasises quality, innovation and sustainability. Our ethical guidelines and our passion for impactful solutions influence client projects and industries we work with, and underpin our focus on diversity and environmental sustainability.
As a Principal Data Architect your job will include:
- Being a trusted advisor, guiding our clients towards a successful solution to their data challenges.
- Taking part in early engagement to help create a compelling vision of an Agile, data-driven organisation.
- Guiding and de-risking the delivery of data projects, promoting working iteratively to incrementally add value. Mediating, resolving technical related conflicts and escalating when necessary.
- Supporting cross-functional data teams delivering data platforms, products and services in the cloud and in clients’ data centres.
- Design and deliver architectures which are fit for purpose, assessing the environment and constraints whilst showing a desire to challenge conventional thinking.
- Helping stakeholders define non-functional requirements and ensuring solutions meet these requirements for performance, scalability, availability, security and manageability.
- Aligning work across the client’s organisation and their data strategy, taking a key role in choosing appropriate technologies, preparing performance and cost estimates for various use cases.
- Sharing expertise on data privacy and information security topics whilst keeping up to date with relevant legislation e.g. GDPR, ensuring our clients’ regulatory compliance.
- Building capability in the architecture community and collaborating with other data roles such as Data Engineers, Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
- Keeping yourself technically sharp, being open to learning new technologies.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues and clients, be it onsite, in the Zuhlke office, or from home.
Skills & Requirements:
- Proven experience in delivering complex technical designs and architectures across a variety of industries, ideally in client facing contexts.
- A clear understanding of the business value of your work and focus on delivering that value to your stakeholders transparently.
- Confident decision making and the ability to explain processes or choices as needed. Being able to articulate a technical solution and its value to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Accustomed to working in fast-paced, Agile delivery-oriented environments, with hands-on involvement and an emphasis on quality.
- Deep functional knowledge of key data concepts and technology sets, e.g. data modelling.
- Excellent understanding of information security and data governance.
- Exposure to a variety of approaches to data platforms (e.g. Data Lake, Data Mesh, Data Warehouse, streaming, batch processing).
- Familiarity with big data infrastructures and concepts for storing and processing large and/or heterogeneous data volumes.
- Knowledge of handling varied types of structured and unstructured data (e.g. text, tabular, graph, time-series, geospatial, image, etc.).
- An understanding of the needs of many types of data consumers including Analysts, Data Scientists, Business Intelligence teams and Management stakeholders.
- Ability to identify, develop and close opportunities in enterprise data solutions, within new or prospect customers.
Our work is mainly at or within an hour's travel from our Manchester or Shoreditch office.
Diversity & Inclusion at Zuhlke
- Being welcome & respected for who you are.
- Being heard & appreciated for your perspective.
- Being valued, no matter your background.
We welcome people from all backgrounds, regardless of their gender, national origin, race, religion, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Covid-19 Notice: We are hiring for this role despite the current circumstances in relation to Covid-19. To protect our employees’ and candidates’ health and safety, we have implemented fully remote interview and onboarding processes for candidates and new joiners until further notice. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation and appreciate your flexibility with any related changes to our interviewing process.
In the current circumstances we work predominantly remotely and with flexible working hours and we expect that this will continue to be the case in the future. This may occasionally change due to project specific needs.