Software Development Team Lead
AJ Bell - Manchester
The Investcentre team is part of AJ Bell and responsible for developing and enhancing our platforms for our advisers and clients. We operate as a full stack team with the core skills including Dotnet, C#, Typescript and Angular, NextJs, AWS and Jenkins.
AJ Bell is one of the fastest-growing investment platform businesses in the UK offering an award-winning range of solutions that caters for everyone, from professional financial advisers, to DIY investors with little to no experience. We have over 455,008 customers using our award-winning platform propositions to manage assets totalling more than £68.6 billion.
Our customers trust us with their investments, and by continuously striving to make investing easier, we aim to help even more people take control of their financial futures.
Having listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange in December 2018, AJ Bell is now a FTSE 250 company.
Headquartered in Manchester with offices in central London and Bristol, we now have over 1200 employees and have been named one of the Sunday Times ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ for five consecutive years.
There are opportunities for growth and professional development for employees wanting to progress within their career including induction training and our study support scheme which is part of our benefits package.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Team lead to lead a multidisciplinary technical delivery teams and leading the delivery of roadmap items. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving development modernisation and working with other team(s) to increase productivity whilst working closely with all relevant stakeholders.
- Minimum 4 years in senior development role with strong influencing and mentoring skills
- You have a history of teamwork and willingness to roll up ones sleeves to get the job done.
- Supporting, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Empowering teams by creating an environment they can succeed in
- Planning and tracking works as prioritised by the product, project and development management.
- Identifying and mitigating risk by removing blockers to delivery.
- Mentoring and line managing members of the team and ensuring distribution of knowledge.
- Coach and guide our engineers in their personal and professional development
- Performing developer’s appraisals and other performance feedback.
- Building the right environment and culture for the squads ensuring that it is safe to positively challenge, proactively contributing the department capability, ways of working and design patterns
- Help build, develop, and play a leading role in maturing our community of practice
- Support our recruitment, getting involved in interviews, assessments, and reviews
- Proactively working with the team(s) to ensure improvement items are being prioritised and actively progressed
- Experience of managing staff's health and safety, sickness, vacation and salary planning.
- Experience of influencing and negotiating with the product team to define backlog contents, delivering a balance of value, discovery and technical debt.
- Up to date experience in commercial software development both in web, cloud and enterprise server development.
- You’ll have demonstrable experience of leading large engineering teams in Agile/Lean environment
- Experience in managing continuous delivery cycles in Cloud first software environments such as AWS
- Gaining a good understanding of the technical structure, domain and architecture of the systems the team is responsible for.
What we offer:
- Generous holiday allowance of 26 days, increasing to 30 days with service, plus bank holidays
- Company Health cash plan
- Holiday buy/sell scheme
- Hybrid working policy
- Casual dress code
- Discretionary bi-bonus
- Contributory pension scheme
- Dedicated time for proof-of-concepts and assessing new tech
- Support to attend conferences, events, and meet-ups
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Free share scheme
- Paid study support for qualifications
- Enhanced maternity/paternity scheme from day one
- Bike loan
- Season ticket loan portal
- Discounted PMI and Dental
- On-site gym and personal trainer led classes
- Paid volunteering opportunities
- Free social events and more
AJ Bell is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and all employees are empowered to bring their whole self to work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy, religion, physical and mental disability, marital status and any other characteristics protected by the Equality Act 2010. All decisions to hire are based on qualifications, merit and business need.