Do you enjoy working collaboratively, championing agile best practice, focusing on continuous integration and delivery, whilst facilitating problem solving? We are looking for 2 x Senior-level Java Developers who enjoys working in a fast-paced team.
CDL is one of the UK’s leading insurance software houses, employing over 600 people at its campus in Stockport. CDL has spearheaded developments in the aggregator, web and telematics space, including connected home, enrichment and self-service solutions. As a result, the company’s robust and innovative technologies have enabled its customers to thrive in the highly competitive UK insurance marketplace.
We've built a collaborative and creative culture where we employ agile techniques to deliver our pace-setting applications. We like to work in small, focused groups so you're always learning from people around you and you feel a part of the success of each project you are involved with. We promote knowledge sharing through lunch and learns and workshops and you will receive coaching and mentoring from more senior members of the team.
Senior Software Engineer No.1
You will work on our flagship product, Strata, mainly within our Accounts & Payments squad, although you will be required to collaborate with colleagues across the department to deliver products and services aligning with the company’s goals and priorities.
Broadly, the role is to work with colleagues to understand business requirements, translate them into technical designs, then implement these designs, using your excellent code craftsmanship skills. As a Senior Java Developer, you will promote development best practice, and be responsible for knowledge sharing, and coaching and mentoring of other developers.
We’re facing exciting growth at CDL, and continuous improvement is at the heart of what we do. We will support you through formal training on the latest technologies such as AWS, as well as providing personal development time to encourage learning and growth.
We’re looking for enthusiastic, and passionate developers with an attitude to learn, collaborate, aspire, continuously improve, and thoroughly enjoy what they do. If this sounds like you, and you’re up for the challenge, then we would love to talk to you.
Senior Software Engineer No.2
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who enjoys working collaboratively in an agile environment, is focused on continuous integration and delivery and can provide technical leadership in a fast paced, innovative, market leading Engineering team.
The successful candidate will bring established technical expertise (including familiarity with AWS cloud solutions) to our delivery squads and our developer community. Leading by example, they will collaborate across our Software Engineering department to deliver high quality products and services that delight our customers and align with our company goals and priorities.
What you'll do:
- As a Senior Software Engineer you will work on products and services mainly within our Documentation and Communications domain where you will lead and contribute to medium and large feature releases on multi-person and cross team projects.
- You will work with Business Analysts and Product Owners to translate business requirements into technical designs and lead the presentation of these designs through our technical governance and approval processes.
- You will lead the implementation of these designs using your excellent code crafting skills – coaching and knowledge sharing with less senior engineering colleagues along the way
- On an ongoing basis you will recognise, influence and resolve issues that impact the functional and non-functional performance of the products within your domain.
- You will be ‘hands on’ with the code, adept at solving practical problems in real time and committed continuous improvement through experimentation and iteration
- You will bring your industry expertise to bear, sharing new ideas and industry advances, breaking down knowledge silos and helping to mitigate engineering single points of failure.
- You will have experience of working with and designing cloud-based solutions, including best practices using AWS. AWS Certified Developer (Associate) certification is highly desirable
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Java 8 minimum
- Spring, Spring Boot
- CI Tools e.g Gitlab CI, AWS CodeDeploy
- Agile Kanban methodology, TDD, Pair Programming
- An automation mindset, preferably with experience using Junit, Cypress and SoapUI
- Microservices & serverless architecture, using AWS Lambda
- Container architecture, using Docker.
- Experience in developing financial systems
- Remote working – occasional requirements to attend the office
- Flexible hours
- 25 days holiday to start, increasing by 1 day per 1 year of service up to 30 days.
- Top employer for 6th year running
- Excellent training and development platform
- Opportunities for career progression
- Health and Wellbeing programme
- Virtual activities, lunch and learns, coffee mornings and meetups.
- Life and health assurance
- Established Recognition Award System
- Great Maternity / Paternity Benefits
- Diversity and Inclusion network
- Pension scheme
- Community projects and volunteer days
- Refer a friend bonus
- On-site free parking
- Open plan modern offices
- Shuttle bus to and from the station
- Subsidised restaurant
- Games room and chill out zone
- Annual Hackathon Events
- Social activities, regular social events through our social group Xtra, including a summer BBQ, competitions, bowling, go-karting, football games, Winter party and much more!
- Car wash, barber, yoga classes, boot camp and massage services all on site
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shower and dry rooms