These are exciting times at Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio the Digital and Technology Services Transformation Programme (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
We’re building better justice for everyone, and you have the chance to influence that change. With the scale and size of transformation, you’ll get exposure to bigger opportunities and new ways of learning that will push your potential. This is pioneering work that’s first of its kind, which means you’ll get to own your mark bringing ideas that will shape your future and ours. Sound like a challenge you’re up for?
As a Senior Developer, you will work with a wide range of stakeholders such as user researchers, product managers, designers, business analysts, content specialists, delivery managers and digital architects, all of whom share a vision for making government better through smarter use of technology.
We currently have over 200 experienced developers across MoJ and its agencies who make up the broader software engineering community. You will able to learn from others, share your knowledge and take part in informal support networks with your peers.
The Development Squad you are placed on will be agreed closer to your start date, but examples of products can be found in our github repositories:
We rely heavily on
- Java and Python to write our backend services
- Node.js and Angular to write our frontend services
- Jenkins for deployment
- Dynatrace for application monitoring
- Kubernetes and Docker to run our services
- Azure for most of our infrastructure
- Postgres and Redis as our databases.
- GOV.UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
- In addition, we use a range of other technologies and continue to evolve by employing new technologies that help us deliver better services to our users
We’re happy to help you learn our tech stack once you are part of our team.
What will you be doing?
- Write, amend, refactor and document code to build programs/scripts.
- Adhere to internal process and procedures and advising others which software development standards/processes/procedures apply.
- Use security controls to build secure products and engineer to mitigate security threats. Handle information with confidentiality and integrity, work with others to ensure compliance and information assurance. Contribute to identifying risks and threats.
- Take a test-driven approach to software development, write automation test scripts of and participate in testing. Collaborate in code reviews with others as appropriate.
- Translate user stories to a proposed design and develop software to meet user needs.
- Support and maintain software as required, including in the live environment. Use modern tools to effectively and thoroughly identify and troubleshoot faults. Package and deploy software built.
What are we looking for?
- Sound knowledge of HTTP, at least one web development framework (for example Spring, Django, Rails, Laravel, Razor, Classic ASP) and at least one RDBMS (for example PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)
- Sound knowledge in a wide range of technologies and libraries used in an enterprise, such as logging and monitoring, ORM, authentication/authorisation, cloud hosting environments, systems integration, source control, package management etc.
- Experience of mentoring, coaching or leading other developers (at work or in meetups etc)
- Experience of working with modern tools and techniques
- An understanding of common security issues and how to mitigate them
- You will also want to make a positive impact on the communities we serve
- You are looking for new technical and leadership challenges
- You thrive when you work as part of a team
- You enjoy learning and helping others
- You hold yourself and others to a high standard
- You solve problems in a systematic way
What can we offer you?
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 27%
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday
- Flexible working; whether it’s working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join
We are passionate about career development and in order to help support this, we offer a number of training and development platforms that employees will have access to. Working with your manager, you will be given the support and time required to complete agreed courses, as part of your personal development plan.
- Pluralsight - Over 7000 video training courses created by over 1400 subject-matter experts, covering a wide range of software development related skills.
- Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative - a range of Azure focused courses that can lead to Microsoft Certification.
- Civil Service Learning - a wide variety of online training to help support your role as a Civil Servant.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity