These are exciting times at Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio the Digital and Technology Services Transformation Programme (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently.
We’re building better justice for everyone, and you have the chance to influence that change. With the scale and size of transformation, you’ll get exposure to bigger opportunities and new ways of learning that will push your potential. This is pioneering work that’s first of its kind, which means you’ll get to own your mark bringing ideas that will shape your future and ours.
Sound like a challenge you’re up for?
The Software Engineering Manager reports to the Head of Technical delivery and is a leading role, responsible for the quality and effectiveness of all aspects of software delivery in 3 -4 digital delivery teams (Squads). Working with software developers and automation testers deployed in those delivery teams this role concentrates on how the software is delivered, ensuring engineering and quality software is delivered.
Building on a software delivery background as a developer, automation tester or agile delivery manager and delivery experience preferably in technical software delivery and Agile ways of working.
We currently have over 200 experienced developers across MoJ and its agencies who make up the broader software engineering community. You will able to learn from others, share your knowledge and take part in informal support networks with your peers.
- We rely heavily on
- Java and Python to write our backend services
- Node.js and Angular to write our frontend services
- Jenkins for deployment
- Dynatrace for application monitoring
- Kubernetes and Docker to run our services
- Azure for most of our infrastructure
- Postgres and Redis as our databases.
- GOV.UK Design System for our web interfaces
- Macs to do all of the above
- In addition, we use a range of other technologies and continue to evolve by employing new technologies that help us deliver better services to our users
What will you be doing?
- Accountability for the delivery of allocated delivery teams (squads) as measured by: on time software delivery, good risk management with no surprises and delivery to budget
- Engage with delivery teams (squads) from development through to live operation, ensuring build quality and appropriate tools use
- Raising risks to squad delivery managers and onward to Heads of Technical Delivery, depending on complexity and severity
- Manage dependencies and ensuring efficiency of software delivery ensuring appropriate use of automation and delivery tools
- Sign off authority up to agreed delegated level (as agreed with Heads of Technical Delivery)
- Deployment of application performance management tools (APM) and production of system performance metrics
- The Software Engineering Managers are distributed across multi-functional product delivery teams and accountable for the delivery performance of those teams, resolving technical delivery issues as required, often outside office hours and engaging the Heads of Technical Delivery to resolve more complex issues.
What are we looking for?
- People management skills, including motivating, mentoring, coaching and performance management.
- Specific software engineering related qualifications (and equivalents)
- Experience of delivering highly complex software solutions in a complex and highly demanding environment with a large number of users
- Credible and experienced in one or more software engineering disciplines
- Demonstrable experience of introducing innovative approaches and carrying these to successful adoption
- Knowledge of best practice and methods and experience of implementing these within multi-functional delivery teams
- Experience of problem solving and co-ordinating the planning and actions of others in HMCTS to deliver at pace
What can we offer you?
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 27%!
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday
- Flexible working; whether it’s working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join