Who are we?
Born out of a 10-year research project with Lancaster University’s linguistic and cyber security departments, Relative Insight originally designed its technology to support the UK government identify paedophiles masquerading as children online - heavy but important work!
Our technology is based on comparison - so if you take a group of 13-year olds talking online, you'll see that the language they use is very similar. If you compare that to how a 40-year-old adult man talks, you'll notice very specific but subtle differences.
So today, we apply the same methods of language comparison to uncover crucial and unexpected differences in the way people talk. This then helps organisations inform new strategies to interact and communicate more effectively with their audiences.
What does the role involve?
As a member of the Data Science team, you will have the opportunity to work on client-facing analysis software, helping our users discover unexpected insights from their data. You will be developing, testing, carefully documenting and improving different types of analysis and subsequently collaborating with the Development team to integrate new features into the platform. The work will involve working with both structured and unstructured data. Additionally, as this is a senior role, you will be mentoring other member of the team and identifying and improving R&D processes.
You will be joining a friendly and professional development team of data scientists, linguists, designers and software developers who have a passion for building innovative products and sharing knowledge best practices.
- Work cross functionally with the development and design teams to drive the product roadmap and inform key platform decisions
- Research and design novel features and products for our data analysis platform
- Advocate for data-informed decision making
- Mentor members of the Data Science team and engage in other leadership opportunities
- Collaborate with the development team to design and develop reliable data pipelines that help answer business questions
- Identify, develop and make recommendations for process improvements and best practices
What experience do we look for?
- Master's level degree in data science related field or equivalent experience
- Strong Python proficiency
- Strong statistics proficiency
- Knowledge of machine learning, frameworks and pipelines
- Strong problem-solving skillset
- Strong data manipulation skills
- 2+ years experience in data science or related industry
- Strong knowledge of and/or experience with Natural Language Processing
- Experience with AWS Sagemaker
- Good software development practices
- Proficient with version control
- Proficient with Unix
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - We care about the wellbeing of our team so no matter what life throws your way, our EAP can help you through it. Providing you with free and confidential expert guidance and counselling, and more.
- Relative Insight Academy - We love learning! Our Academy provides an opportunity for us to stretch our knowledge and learn new skills. This starts with a structured Induction Programme, where you learn everything you need to know to get up to speed in your role as quickly as possible.
- Off-Site Days & Socials - Summer Party, Christmas Party, End of Month Parties - if there is an excuse, we'll have a get-together to celebrate successes and get to know each other better.
- Tech Scheme - If you are in need of personal tech, we will loan you the money (up to a certain value) to purchase what you need and agree on a payment plan for you to pay back the owed amount.
- Holidays - We want everyone to take time off and recharge regularly so encourage you to use up your full allowance of holiday each year.
- UK: 24 holidays a year (excluding Bank/Public Holidays)
- Plus an additional 5 days of special leave for: House moves, birthdays, child-care and personal matters.
- Cycle to Work Scheme - This is a government tax exemption initiative to promote healthier journeys to work and to reduce environmental pollution. It allows you to loan money from the company to purchase cycles and cyclists' safety equipment. We will then agree on a payment plan to pay back the owed amount, less TAX.
Relative Insight believes in, and commits to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Anyone who applies for a job with us will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We strive to provide team environments that let everyone maximise their potential in the company. We take all of this seriously.