Lead UX Designer
£41,440 - £51,800 (Grade D17) plus benefits
Remote / Manchester city centre
This is a remote first role. There may be a need for you to come into the Manchester office once or twice a month to connect with the team. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired.
We’re looking for a lead UX designer to join Co-op Digital and work across our One Web products and services. One Web is a group of teams with a vision to enable Co-op colleagues to accelerate their delivery of efficient, coherent customer experiences, allowing them to focus on innovation in their business area. You’ll work with other designers and engineers in a multi-disciplinary team as well as contributing to the development of our growing design community.
As a lead UX designer, you’ll shape the direction of the shared functionality that all our digital product teams will use, engaging with colleagues regularly to discover how we can best help them. You’ll be designing and building solutions to common problems, always to the highest of standards, and feed these back into our Design System. We’ll look to you to be an advocate for the Design System and user centred inclusive design across Co-op. If you can bring us the interaction design and coding experience we need, we can offer you the chance to build a career with a business that’s using digital to make a difference.
What you’ll do
• work in an agile, multi-disciplinary team to design digital services that meet user needs
• lead the design process within a business area and transform front-end design into code
• deliver design work and code that’s in line with best practices for web standards and always promote accessibility
• contribute to the existing design system
• strengthen the customer journey within your business area
• facilitate community of practice meetings to share knowledge across the team
• confidently communicate design decisions to other digital and business colleagues
• consider the wider impact of products you design, positively influencing the whole service experience
• lead, guide and develop other interaction design colleagues, line managing 1 other designer
This role would suit people who have
• previous experience in an interaction design or user experience role
• a portfolio demonstrating good design practices backed up by case studies (you will be asked to provide a copy of this when applying)
• the ability to lead a digital design process on large scale, challenging, design and code from concept through to delivery
• expertise in interaction and interface design for both web and mobile
• the ability to communicate through sketches and low fidelity prototypes
• a track record of working with user research to understand user needs, and making design decisions based on evidence
• experience working in an agile, multi-disciplinary team environment
• good communication skills and the ability to build positive relationships with partners across the business
• experience working with design systems and large-scale design libraries (in Figma and code) would be beneficial, but isn’t essential
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.