Senior Software Engineer – React/Typescript/Node
£62,558 plus excellent benefits, including up to 10% employer pension contributions and private healthcare (Work Level 5)
This is a UK remote-first role, with an option to work in the Manchester office for those who want to. You may be asked to occasionally attend meetings in Manchester.
This role is eligible for Skilled Worker (Tier 2) visa sponsorship
Engineers play a huge part in our Digital Technology team at Co-op.
We are the makers. The people who design, build, and operate the products that support our members, customers, and colleagues. From Food to Funeralcare, Legal Services to Insurance, and everything in between. The systems we work on range from cloud-based services, through apps for customers and for colleagues, to tills in stores.
This role will be based within our Food Stores Operational Innovation team. This team’s main objective is to make our stores as simple as possible to operate for our colleagues so that they can focus on delivering the best experience possible for our customers and members. There’s some exciting developments planned within this area; including a new suite of web apps for smarter stock management and integration with our SAP ERP, and you could help us carry them out.
We’re a historic organisation, founded on principals of mutuality and support for local communities. Our vision is to co-operate for a fairer world, and collaboration is part of who we are. We work in small, multi-disciplinary teams with an Agile approach, and we value knowledge sharing, so we often use pair and ensemble-programming. We also provide career and technical coaching, and we run communities of practice to support continuous learning. To find out a little bit more about our engineering teams, please visit jobs.coop.co.uk/engineering
What you’ll do
- Work collaboratively to build, maintain, and support Co-op applications and systems
- Have a hands-on focus on developing software iteratively
- Make sure that our technical quality keeps up to our internal standards
- Share your knowledge and skills with others in our Communities of Practice
- Influence decisions at a team level, and communicate concepts to a wide range of technical and non-technical colleagues
- Provide guidance, coaching and training to other engineers to support their development
- Lead colleagues in smaller product teams as the software engineering expert
- Resolve technical challenges, making sure that solutions fulfil overall business objectives
What you’ll get
If you’ve got the skills and experience we’re looking for, we can offer you a competitive salary and great benefits package which includes 30% off Co-op branded products in our food stores (as well as other discounts on Co-op products and services). You’ll also get:
- Private healthcare
- An annual bonus (based on personal and business performance)
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 with service) plus bank holidays
- A pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- Opportunities to learn, grow and build your career
- The ability to work flexible and remotely, so you can achieve the right balance between work and your personal life
- Access to a subsidised onsite gym (at our Manchester HQ)
- Coaching and training to support your career development
- Wagestream – a money management app that gives you access to a percentage of your pay as you earn it
This role would suit people who have
- Significant experience in a hands-on software engineering role, implementing, and maintaining applications and services
- Experience of delivering iteratively towards an end-goal
- Solid programming expertise in Node with TypeScript on the back end
- Experience with React with Typescript for the front end
- Solid expertise working with hosting services such as Azure and AWS
- Experience of tooling and practices for automated build, integration, and deployment
- Expertise in software patterns and practices, such as Object-Orientated or Functional programming
- A good understanding of architectural patterns and practices, and the ability to make trade-offs between design decisions
- Experience and understanding of TDD (test driven development)
- A strong understanding of Agile methodologies and practices
Building an inclusive work environment
At Co-op, we’re proud to do things a different way. As one of the world’s largest co-operatives, owned by millions of members, community is at the heart of what we do. Since our Co-op was founded in 1844, we’ve had a clear social purpose, and everything we do as a business helps to build a fairer world for our members, customers, colleagues, and communities.
We’re actively building diverse teams and we welcome applications from everyone. If you have a disability, we can make reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process according to your needs. We're also part of the Disability Confident scheme, meaning we'll always offer an interview to disabled candidates who apply through the scheme if they meet the minimum criteria for a job.
We'll ask whether you’d like to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme when you apply.
If we invite you to take part in the recruitment process for any of our jobs, we’ll ask you if you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to participate.
You can find out more about our recruitment process at jobs.coop.co.uk/apply-process.
You can find out more about the Disability Confident scheme and all our commitments to diversity and inclusion at colleagues.coop.co.uk/diversity-inclusion-and-wellbeing.
We welcome applications from candidates who need Skilled Worker (Tier 2) visas to work in the UK.
Please be aware that we may close applications for this role early.