Co-op - Manchester
Software Engineer – Level 5
£53,000 plus benefits (D17)
Remote / Manchester city centre
This is a remote first role. There may be a need for you to come into the Manchester office once or twice a month to connect with the team. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired.
We’re looking for a software engineer to join our newly formed Technology team at Co-op, and create solutions that deliver simple applications that respond to real user needs. You’ll work collaboratively in one of our multi-disciplinary, agile, product teams and become a part of our community of engineers. We come together regularly to share knowledge and learn from each other, and we’ll look to you to help coach and mentor other colleagues.
What you’ll do
• build, maintain and support web application to our high technical standards
• work with delivery and product to escalate and manage any delivery challenges, which may have an impact in other areas of the business, or increase the cost of building a feature
• mentor and coach other engineers on the team
• work within agile teams to create quick feedback loops and focus on the customer needs
• balance speed and quality to deliver value to the business
• use modern engineering practices like TDD, pair or mob programming and continuous deployment
• build services that make a difference to people’s lives
This role would suit people who have
• experience in a hands-on software engineering role
• exposure to agile practices and familiarity with the terminology
• experience implementing and maintaining functionality for web applications
• good knowledge of software development security methodologies
• experience with CI/CD tooling & practices (e.g. MS DevOps, Jenkins, TeamCity, automation techniques)
• good programming skills in the language most relevant to your role
• knowledge of Object Oriented Design practices & principles, with the ability to apply under guidance
• an understanding of architectural patterns and practices, and the ability to follow architectural direction under guidance
• experience working in Test Driven Development and/or pair programming
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training, and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at colleagues.coop.co.uk.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.