BBC Content Discovery has a remit to help our audience discover the best content, that is most relevant and meaningful to them, by providing them with a breath of BBC content from the whole of BBC Online.
The Content Discovery Search Team are looking at ways to improve the BBC Search experience for millions of users who access our services each week, through Online, App and iPlayer. We aim to create a high-quality search experience, by delivering the highest quality, most relevant results to our audience.
We are looking for a Relevancy Engineer who understands both the business and technical aspects of search relevance, who will work with a variety of underlying search engines and expertly use the correct tools for the job to drive a continuing process of quality improvement.
You will be working collaboratively within a cross-functioning, agile team. You will be expected to share your experience with less experienced members of the team and help focus the Search Team on creating systems that deliver the best possible search results.
In this role you will:
- Work hands-on with the team
- Deliver the most relevant and reliable search experience by bringing together the best search algorithms, search technologies, and search infrastructure
- Collaborate effectively with other teams to help develop search technologies within the BBC
- Work closely with Technical Architects, Product, Analytics, Editorial, Operations and Development colleagues to ensure that the solutions delivered are the most appropriate for the BBC’s audience
- Implement tools to measure relevancy, and assist in testing new and existing algorithms
- Communicate complex technical solutions to a wide range of technical and non-technical stakeholders in an accessible way
- Share your expertise, mentor and support peers, foster best practices in relevancy engineering, and be a key member of the BBC-wide Search community.
Are you the right candidate?
We would love to talk to you if you:
- Have extensive experience with Solr or Elasticsearch (Solr preferred)
- Have knowledge of linguistic processing functions including stemming, lemmatisation, spellchecking, customisation of dictionaries, n-grams, stop words, synonyms and multi-lingual search
- Have practical domain knowledge and expertise in query optimisation in Lucene
- Have practical experience with search algorithms, search indexing, taxonomies, recommendation engines, rules engines, auto-suggests, auto-corrections, type ahead, query optimisation, search relevancy and relevancy-tuning
- Have practical experience in improving relevance ranking, semantic matching of query item pairs using embedding, and other core search functions such as engagement metrics, information retrieval metrics and machine learning models
- Have experience identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues
- Have an understanding of data mining and machine learning, and ways in which this may be used to improve the ranking and recommendations as part of search workflow
- Are comfortable conducting design and code reviews
- Can deliver value to the audience early, and have experience of feeding learnings back into search systems
- Have a positive attitude, a passion for technology, and a constant desire to learn.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.