It’s an exciting time in Home Office, we have a number of great new initiatives coming together which are laying the basis for our future operating model –reshaping and truly redefining how we manage our delivery and services to citizens.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be using a number of our cloud platforms (AWS focus, using native tools as well as our ACP and EBSA platforms) to enable rapid delivery, whilst working to our standards (must be secure, robust, accessible).
You’ll be responsible for maintaining and supporting our platforms. Your role is proactive, checking relevant metrics and performing platform updates when necessary. This will ensure it is accessible to users and has capacity for production and deployment. Upon request, you’ll also advise developers on how to use the platform effectively, reviewing and advising on their CI/CD pipelines, this may also involve working to deliver components of new platforms.
Whilst this isn’t a leadership role you’ll have the opportunity to support the build of the team around you, possibly mentoring others or being mentored yourself and getting hands on in recruitment activities.
Your main day to day will involve:
- writing scripts to deliver/work with our platforms, such as developing docker/terraform/ansible files for a variety of systems/frameworks
- providing technical support functions, solving more challenging platform use and configuration issues
- providing feedback to project teams on platform use; supporting routine monitoring activities
- advising developers on how they should use existing systems and configure CI/CD pipelines
- working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
- working with developers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended
You’ll have a demonstrable passion for automation and collaboration, with skills or strong experience in:
- containerisation (any OCI compliant runtime)
- configuration management (Ansible, Chef, Puppet) or container orchestration
- linux scripting (Bash, Python or Go)
- adapting CI/CD pipelines to the team’s requirements
- pairing with developers for knowledge transfer
- working in an agile way following DevOps principles
What we're offering
To sweeten the offer, we’re one of the largest consumers of cloud services in the UK, and we make use of many vendors and technologies. We understand that continuous learning is extremely important to you as an engineer. To support you we will give you the materials and time to grow yourself. Additionally, you’ll have the support of a rapidly growing engineering community!
You can also take a look at our recent blog post on DevOps within the Home Office -https://hodigital.blog.gov.uk/2020/09/15/what-are-we-doing-in-devops-at-the-home-office
Some of the benefits our engineers love!
- one of the higher starting salaries across the Civil Service
- a Civil Service pension with employer contribution rates of between 26.6% and 30.3%, depending upon salary
- 25 days annual leave on appointment, plus 8 days public holidays and 1 day for the Queen’s Birthday, rising further with service
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- training and development opportunities tailored to your role
- an in-year bonus scheme
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- season ticket loans and rental deposit loans
- cycle to work and payroll giving
- employee discounts - including a huge number of retailers (via the Edenred platform), Microsoft Home Use programme and gym membership
- a variety of staff recognition schemes including thank you vouchers
- health and wellbeing initiatives including monthly mindfulness sessions
- staff support networks
- maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- maternity and adoption support leave (paternity leave) of 2 weeks full pay
- up to 5 days paid leave for volunteering
- study leave and support for studying for a qualification or other accredited development relevant to your role