What you'll be doing
You’ll be using a number of our cloud platforms (AWS focus, using native tools as well as our ACP and EBSA platforms) to enable rapid delivery, whilst working to our standards (must be secure, robust, accessible).
You’ll be responsible for maintaining and supporting our platforms. Your role is proactive, checking relevant metrics and performing platform updates when necessary. This will ensure it is accessible to users and has capacity for production and deployment. Upon request, you’ll also advise developers on how to use the platform effectively, reviewing and advising on their CI/CD pipelines, this may also involve working to deliver components of new platforms.
Your main day to day will involve:
About you 👀
We’re more interested in people who understand the methodology and fundamentals rather than specific tools. You’ll be ideal for this role if you have a demonstrable passion for automation and collaboration, with skills or experience in:
• CI/CD tooling - ideally Jenkins, Bamboo, GitLab etc
• cloud platforms - Ideally AWS
• container workloads and container orchestration frameworks (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
• IaC - ideally Terraform but happy to consider CloudFormation
• configuration management Tools - Ansible, Puppet, Chef, CFEngine etc
• working in an agile way following DevOps principles
• networking and load balancing
• scripting (any of the following) - Bash, Perl, Python or Go
What we're offering
To sweeten the offer, we’re one of the largest consumers of cloud services in the UK, and we make use of many vendors and technologies. We understand that continuous learning is extremely important to you as an engineer. To support you we will give you the materials and time to grow yourself. Additionally, you’ll have the support of a rapidly growing engineering community!
You can also take a look at our recent blog post on DevOps within the Home Office -https://hodigital.blog.gov.uk/2020/09/15/what-are-we-doing-in-devops-at-the-home-office
Some of the benefits our engineers love!