We’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We’re home to some of the most important public services in the United Kingdom and are transforming how we use data and technology to improve these.
Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, ensure applications and delivery of passports is efficient and developing and supporting a wide variety of GOV.UK services such as getting married or forming a civil partnership or applying for a visa.
🚀 What we offer 🚀
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality:
- agile principles
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- pairing smartly
- infrastructure as code
🎯 Your Mission 🎯
This is a real greenfield development opportunity, you’ll be working on triaging ‘new stuff’, as well as leading the implementation of new systems in several critical areas.
This work will be delivered in an agile manner, working with multi-disciplinary teams and across a variety of business areas.
- building RESTful web services to serve a variety of citizen and government needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- implementing toolkits and APIs for purposes such as integration, performance optimisation, security and scalability
- delivering secure, reliable and scalable software in your team; undertaking a breadth of development tasks
- designing new software using appropriate tools and in line with standards, proving designs through prototyping
- reporting on system performance and support test activities; keep documentation up to date.
- working with other engineers to deliver new capability, for instance improved CI/CD pipelines or test approaches
👀 About you 👀
You’ll be joining a growing software engineering community and you’ll be passionate about growing your own career within that community with an enthusiasm to research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
You’ll have experience developing applications and familiarity with:
- agile environments and version control
- working practices such as test driven development (focusing on automation), continuous integration and continuous delivery
- cloud based approaches and the use of orchestration tools (AWS, Azure, Docker and Kubernetes)
- the full software delivery cycle
💜 Some of the benefits our engineers love 💜
No matter which part of the Home Office you join, you will receive:
- one of the higher starting salaries across the Civil Service
- a Civil Service pension with employer contribution rates of between 26.6% and 30.3%, depending upon salary
- 25 days annual leave on appointment, plus 8 days public holidays and 1 day for the Queen’s Birthday, rising further with service
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- training and development opportunities tailored to your role
- an in-year bonus scheme
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
You will also have access to benefits such as:
- season ticket loans and rental deposit loans
- cycle to work and payroll giving
- employee discounts - including a huge number of retailers (via the Edenred platform), Microsoft Home Use programme and gym membership
- a variety of staff recognition schemes including thank you vouchers
- health and wellbeing initiatives including monthly mindfulness sessions
- staff support networks
- maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- maternity and adoption support leave (paternity leave) of 2 weeks full pay
- up to 5 days paid leave for volunteering
- study leave and support for studying for a qualification or other accredited development relevant to your role
We also support the Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative.