Digital Apprenticeship Skills Coach
We are looking for a fantastic Skills Coach to provide guidance and support to our apprentices, ensuring that they successfully complete their apprenticeship and progress into full-time roles.
You must be passionate about creating opportunities for people from diverse backgrounds to excel in their tech career. The skills coach will maintain regular contact with apprentices and their employers providing continuous guidance throughout the apprenticeship, ensuring the students stay on track and are ready for their End Point Assessment (EPA), as well as supporting recruitment and onboarding of learners annually.
We currently deliver a successful co-designed and co-delivered Level 4 Software Developer apprenticeship programme with tech businesses across Greater Manchester, achieving higher than UK average grade outcomes. In 2022, we’ll be introducing new digital apprenticeship pathways, which this role will be central to driving forward.
As a Skills Coach you will:
* Be the key contact for apprentices and employers on the programme
* Assessing and supporting apprentices through their apprenticeship programme, including pastoral support during our 4 week Get Ready onboarding technical training bootcamp
* Carrying out reviews either in person or remotely with apprentices and line managers to monitor progress against key milestones and the apprenticeship standards
* Liaise with employers and apprentices, as required, to agree learning and development goals, and support the fulfilment of study requirements
* Providing safeguarding support liaising with the training provider and other agencies as appropriate
* Supporting any learners with Additional Learner Needs and Special Educational Needs to put appropriate support in place
* Ensuring monthly performance updates on learners are provided
* Providing rigorous feedback on work-based learning evidence and engagement in technical training bootcamps
* Managing & tracking of progression of all key programme elements
* Assessing whether apprentices are ready to enter Gateway and support them to prepare for their End Point Assessment (EPA)
* Ensuring all apprentice records are maintained and compliant to ESFA regulations using our preferred eportfolio portal
* Organise employer-led technical technical delivery training sessions (bootcamps) and facilitate non-technical bootcamp sessions
* Identify apprentices who fail to make the expected progress, and support them in getting back on track
* Monitor the recording of work-based learning evidence, and guide the apprentices through gradually building the evidence required for the apprenticeship’s end-point assessment
* Organise delivery of functional skills where required
* Assess portfolio content from apprentices ensuring quality and mapped back to the apprenticeship standard
* Review final portfolio pieces and ensure all EPA paperwork is correct
* Ensure and promote the personal health, safety and wellbeing of staff and students
* Carry out duties in a way which promotes fairness in all matters and which engenders trust
* Ensure equality, diversity and inclusion is embedded into all aspects of the programme
* Manage a caseload of up to 40 learners.
* Participate, as appropriate, in recruitment activities, as well as the induction and initial assessment of candidates
* Develop case study content for promoting the programme and learner successes/achievements
* Liaise with prospective employers about the programme and its benefits
* Support the Talent and Skills Programme Manager to development and maintain the Apprenticeship programme marketing collateral
* Support the Talent and Skills Programme Manager to ensure the body of technical training materials and resources is reviewed annually, and maintained / updated as required
* Contribute to the delivery of training, depending on expertise
* Support the Talent and Skills Programme Manager to grow the apprentices provision offer and associated activities
* Represent Manchester Digital occasionally as needed with employers and young people as part of our business development and outreach activities
* Get involved in the design and delivery of other MD Talent and Skills projects as required across the business
* Engage in continuous personal and professional development in line with the demands of the role, including undertaking relevant training and development activities to develop themselves and support the development of others.
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes and Skills:
* Have an understanding of the principles of software development
* An understanding of digital apprenticeships
* A commitment to Manchester Digital’s mission and values
* Have an understanding/awareness of the digital and technology sector (or willingness to learn) and a genuine interest in the sector
* An innovative self-starter, excited by the prospect of being involved in a dynamic working environment
* Exceptionally well-organised have strong time management skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
* Proficient in GSuite/MS Office
* A basic understanding of Git/GitHub
* Able to manage multiple stakeholder relationships effectively
* Is adaptable and has good personal resilience
It’s also an added bonus if you have experience in the digital sector of any kind, in particular, related to apprenticeships or technical training in software development, business analysis, and data analysis.
This role comes with a public profile and responsibility. You will have a great deal of autonomy and you’ll be a key part of the decision making from the start.
Manchester Digital, the largest independent trade body for the digital and technology sector in the North West. Established for nearly 20 years, we have over 500 digital and technology businesses in our membership, including GCHQ, BBC, Auto Trader, On the Beach and Missguided, who are committed to working with us to deliver relevant and impactful digital skills training and careers insights programmes with schools, colleges and local people across Greater Manchester.
As well as being a cohesive voice for the region’s industry and ensuring that its views are represented at a local and national government level, the organisation also galvanises the power of its network and takes direct action to solve specific issues and barriers impacting the sector’s growth.
Manchester Digital is renowned for the employer-led approach it has taken to solving the current skills gap. Each year we run a 4-day skills festival that connects over 150 businesses and 2000 school, college and university students to bridge the gap between industry and education.
We also run a programme called Digital Futures programme that will create industry interventions at critical stages of education to help increase the number of young people entering the industry. The programme also has specific strands to support girls and hard to reach demographics to find a career in the industry.
Find out more about who we are and what we do: www.manchesterdigital.com and specifically the MD Talent Academy here:
We are a culture that:
* Rewards results
* Recognises the hard work we put in
* Values knowledge sharing
* Values autonomy
* Believes in honesty and loyalty
* Operates with transparency and accountability
* Values resourcefulness and creativity
* Believes in making informed decisions
* Is personally invested in all that we do/the organisation
How To Apply
Send your CV and a short cover note telling us why you are excited about the the opportunity to take on this role, and how your previous experience and skill set will enable you to fulfil the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held as soon as possible.
We welcome people from all backgrounds and experience levels. There isn’t a formal qualification required for this role as experience and your ability to undertake the role, as well as the right attitude and work ethic is much more important.
POLITE NOTE: WE ALREADY HAVE A RECRUITMENT ARRANGEMENT IN PLACE FOR THIS. NO RECRUITERS PLEASE.