Head of Reference and Master Data Management
Cabinet Office Government Digital Service -
What you'll do
You will be part of CDDO and the Data Strategy and Standards (DS&S) Directorate at an exciting time as we build a new data governance and policy function and establish a Data Architecture Design Authority to sit alongside the established Data Standards Authority.
At DS&S, we want to improve services for end users and improve how new policies are developed through the effective use and reuse of data. This will involve solving complex or/and complicated problems to deliver on the commitments in the National Data Strategy and DS&S’s forward plan. You’ll be working with colleagues from other government departments, as well as external partners, and challenging others to be ambitious in transforming the way data is used and shared across government to help deliver joined-up, trusted, public services that meet the needs of their users.
As the Head of Reference and Master Data Management you’ll:
- act as a senior advisor on best practice reference and master data development, able to deploy multiple levers to ensure the best outcomes
- apply your creativity to how our standards and frameworks are presented so that our reform remit and our ambitious, but achievable, goals are easily understood so that we sustain support for our plans. Excellent verbal and written communications skills are critical to performing this role effectively
- develop a clear government roadmap and plan for the use of reference and master data
- develop a strong market intelligence and horizon scanning function
- represent the programme with internal and external senior digital leaders and policy advisors
- be part of the DS&S senior team, who you will partner with to lead the delivery of the long term vision and near term strategy for the programme so that it reflects strategic requirements of the whole of government, fits with wider public sector domains, and keeps pace with technology innovation
- ensure stakeholders across government are both informed about and consulted on priorities, progress and plans, and understand the strategic importance of making effective use of data standards to meet their business goals
- lead the DS&S Reference and Master data function, and further develop its structure, capability and ways of working.
Who you'll be
This role requires:
- experience of leading work on data strategy and frameworks development, particularly in relation to reference and master data
- excellent communication and writing skills
- strong interpersonal skills, including relationship building, listening and influencing, with an ability to build effective relationships with senior management and operate successfully in a political or complex environment
- ability to negotiate and reach mutually beneficial compromises, remaining calm when under pressure from senior stakeholders
- demonstrable awareness of the whole of government’s digital and data strategy context
- ability to balance changing priorities, deal with ambiguity, using astute judgement to make decisions in the absence of full facts
- a robust understanding and care about the value of data and technology to transform lives, and be committed to working with colleagues in all digital disciplines, as well as those in more traditional government roles.
- an understanding of agile delivery and development best practices
- strong experience of team leadership, recruitment, line management and coaching staff.
Posted by Cabinet Office Government Digital Service
Civil Service Technology Roles
Here at CDDO ( Central Digital & Data Office) we have some fantastic opportunities that can be based from our expanding Manchester office.