As an SEO Manager for the BBC Sport Design and Engineering team, you will be part of a world class team, transforming the ways people enjoy sport and live events online through ground-breaking technology.
The Sport team are tasked with delivering a new vision for online content that reinvents free-to-air-sport for the digital age. This means delivering products for huge events including the Olympics and the World Cup, developing our Live coverage and Sports Data offerings, and ensuring our 24/7 sports news service remains the go-to source for millions of users. We do this across web, mobile and connected devices, delivering quality in good time for large sporting and national events. This is both challenging and massively rewarding.
BBC Sport’s Design and Engineering team is a collaborative, dynamic team, with a track record in delivering new technical solutions and products. The SEO Manager lies at the heart of what we do, working with Product Managers, Engineers and Designers and in partnership with Sport’s editorial staff, to shape the next generation of digital sport coverage.
- Gather, analyse and report on the performance of Sport & Live products in search engines across desktop, tablet and mobile platforms, including mobile applications, in order to support product development and data-driven decision making
- Create, communicate and execute an effective Search Engine Optimisation strategy for BBC Sport & Live that will significantly increase organic search traffic.
- Work closely with the Sport & Live development and editorial teams on a daily basis to define and deliver recommendations on SEO best practice and optimise how content performs on search engines. This should include:
- a review of editorial practices related to optimising content to perform well against current popular search terms
- a clear plan for upskilling the digital and editorial teams in SEO techniques
- Monitor the performance of the Sport & Live websites on search engines on a daily basis, taking ownership of a toolset and KPIs for SEO related performance that measure:
- how content ranks in search results for searches using key search terms
- traffic received from search engines
- the number of pages receiving SEO referrals
- Identify SEO related issues and resolve any that arise as quickly as possible, including the implementation of long term measures that reduce occurrences of such issues
- Devise SEO strategies for key events and campaigns and report on their success
- Work with Product Managers to prioritise SEO related improvements to Sport & Live websites, driving improvements through to completion
- To report to the Sport & Live PDG regularly on SEO performance, any recent SEO issues and the impact/success of improvements made
- To keep up to date with industry trends, SEO best practices and changes to search engine technology that will impact on the SEO performance of Sport & Live websites, identifying changes required to remain competitive
- To keep up to date with competitor SEO performance and strategies, recommending changes required to remain competitive
- Write clear guidelines and specifications for developers and business analysts implementing SEO best practices, collaborating and interacting with multi-disciplined development teams and quality-assuring all new development work from an SEO perspective
- Define and deliver training programmes for Editorial leads and BBC Design & Engineering staff to increase SEO expertise
- Build relationships between and product/editorial leads, Media Planning, creative marketing and brand marketing teams
- Input into the development of a holistic pan-BBC search strategy, combining social media, PPC and SEO
Evaluate and make recommendations on the requirement for and use of additional technology or research tools in order to deliver this strategy
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will possess the following experience:
- Portfolio SEO strategy and development across multiple websites
- Domain migrations, requiring extensive auditing, testing and managing third party and internal resources
- Keyword optimisation and targeting
- Training and development on SEO best practices
- Technical SEO improvements including canonicalisation, redirection