As the Head of Threat Intelligence and Counter Fraud you will play a central role in protecting the UK’s current and future digital identity ecosystem. At scale, One Login will be the front door for millions of users to access digital public services. Our ability to remain resilient to fraud is absolutely critical to delivering our mission. Fraud reduction is intrinsic to the overall value proposition for One Login and at the heart of retaining user trust. This is a high profile role, suited to an experienced counter fraud professional who has a track record of setting direction on threat intelligence and counter fraud and building wider capability.
The mission of the threat intelligence and counter fraud team (TICF) is to prevent and identify fraud with the Digital Identity products. We do this through design, detection and protection. TICF has 4 critical missions:
- Design a service with fraud in mind by supporting product teams
- Detect fraud through analysis
- Enable cross government collaboration on tackling fraud
- Protect the programme through accurate and timely intelligence.
As the Head of Threat Intelligence and Counter-Fraud you will:
- Set strategic direction for the One Login programme to ensure that fraud is reduced due to the design of the system and collaborative work with key stakeholders across HMG.
- Head up and grow the identity counter-fraud team in GDS, building capability within a high performing team, recruiting and training new analysts so that they are able to provide enduring advice and support to the digital identity programme.
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders across the programme, such as the Head of Security, Product, Delivery and identity SMEs, to lead and advise on identity misuse and risks requirements to inform the design and development of One Login for Government system’s counter-fraud capability and implementation and evolution of identity standards;
- Provide oversight and take responsibility for the team’s work on advice and reporting on identity-related threats and their mitigations; monitoring and investigating suspicious user activity and threats to One Login and the digital identity programme’s supply chain.
We’re looking for candidates with evidenced experience of:
- Leadership of an operational counter-fraud function within a comparable, critical national infrastructure (or similar) programme;
- Strong track record of setting strategic direction on identifying and tackling fraud through the design and implementation of a product or service;
- Hands on experience undertaking and managing oversight for the collection and analysis of open source intelligence, including through the Darkweb;
- Taking a leading role in investigating and resolving high volume, time sensitive fraudulent and/or security events in a mission critical environment.
- Implementing and operating high volume identity specific threat intelligence platforms and tooling at scale
Login to the vacancy to view more.
The benefits of working at GDS
There are many benefits of working at GDS, including:
- flexible hybrid working with flexi-time and the option to work part-time or condensed hours
- a Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- 25 days of annual leave, increasing by a day each year up to a maximum of 30 days
- an extra day off for The King’s birthday
- an in-year bonus scheme to recognise high performance
- career progression and coaching, including a training budget for personal development
- paid volunteering leave
- a focus on wellbeing with access to an employee assistance programme
- job satisfaction from making government services easier to use and more inclusive for people across the UK
- advances on pay, including for travel season tickets
- death in service benefits
- cycle to work scheme and facilities
- access to an employee discounts scheme
- 10 learning days per year
- volunteering opportunities (5 special leave days per year)
- access to a suite of learning activities through Civil Service learning
GDS offers hybrid working for all employees. This means that everyone does some working from home and also spends some time in their local office. You’ll agree to your hybrid working arrangement with your line manager in line with your preferences and business needs.
Any move to Government Digital Service from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
Things you need to know
Selection process details
The standard selection process for roles at GDS consists of:
- a simple application screening process - We only ask for a CV and cover letter of up to 750 words. Important tip - please ensure that your cover letter includes how you meet the skills and experience listed in the “person specification” section above
- a 60 minute video interview. We will assess you against the behaviours listed as well as your technical skills and experience. This may also include a brief presentation and a technical skills assessment
Depending on how many applications we get, there might also be an extra stage before the video interview, for example a phone interview or a technical exercise.
In the Civil Service, we use Success Profiles to evaluate your skills and ability. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, increases performance and improves diversity and inclusivity. We’ll be assessing your technical abilities, skills, experience and behaviours that are relevant to this role.
For this role we’ll be assessing you against the following Civil Service Behaviours:
- seeing the bigger picture
- working together
- making effective decisions
Candidates that do not pass the interview but have demonstrated an acceptable standard may be considered for similar roles at a lower grade.
A reserve list will be held for a period of 12 months, from which further appointments can be made.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.