Senior Business Analyst
Cabinet Office Government Digital Service -
- Strategic analysis and planning: Taking responsibility for investigative work into problems and opportunities in existing and new Top 75 services. Driving the analysis and collection of information to identify and create recommendations for service improvements.
- Business analysis: Lead on the identification, recording and communication of complex business needs and processes to a range of audiences. This will include using a range of approaches such as user stories, process models, root cause analysis, use case maps and many others.
- Stakeholder management: Building relationships with key stakeholders in Other Government Departments, influencing and supporting decision-makers.
- Solution design and implementation: Collaborating with technical teams to design innovative and scalable digital solutions for business and user needs. Communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences which may include facilitating workshops or leading presentations
- Developing backlogs: Work with service teams to develop and refine product backlogs, using evidence and data to inform their scope and value. Work with Product Managers to prioritise these and develop roadmaps.
It’s essential that you have experience of:
- Business analysis. You can take responsibility for investigative work into problems and opportunities in existing and new services. You know how to drive the analysis and collection of information to create recommendations for service improvements. You can analyse large amounts of complex information and use it to produce solutions.
- Business modelling. You have experience modelling complex services spanning multiple business functions or programmes. You know how to gather insight from senior stakeholders and communicate modelling results clearly to them.
- Requirements definition and management. You can facilitate the setting of business priorities for change initiatives of high complexity. You know how to lead on requirements analysis and take responsibility for the investigation and implementation of changes to programme scope.
- Stakeholder relationship management. You have experience influencing stakeholders and managing relationships effectively. You know how to build long-term strategic relationships and communicate clearly and regularly with stakeholders.
Login to the vacancy to view more.
The benefits of working at GDS
There are many benefits of working at GDS, including:
- flexible hybrid working with flexi-time and the option to work part-time or condensed hours
- a Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- 25 days of annual leave, increasing by a day each year up to a maximum of 30 days
- an extra day off for The King’s birthday
- an in-year bonus scheme to recognise high performance
- career progression and coaching, including a training budget for personal development
- paid volunteering leave
- a focus on wellbeing with access to an employee assistance programme
- job satisfaction from making government services easier to use and more inclusive for people across the UK
- advances on pay, including for travel season tickets
- death in service benefits
- cycle to work scheme and facilities
- access to an employee discounts scheme
- 10 learning days per year
- volunteering opportunities (5 special leave days per year)
- access to a suite of learning activities through Civil Service learning
GDS offers hybrid working for all employees. This means that everyone does some working from home and also spends some time in their local office. You’ll agree to your hybrid working arrangement with your line manager in line with your preferences and business needs.
Any move to Government Digital Service from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
Things you need to know
Selection process details
The standard selection process for roles at GDS consists of:
- a simple application screening process - We only ask for a CV and cover letter of up to 750 words. Important tip - please ensure that your cover letter includes how you meet the skills and experience listed in the “person specification” section above
- a 60 minute video interview. This will also include a presentation - the presentation topic will be shared in advance of the interview.
Depending on how many applications we get, there might also be an extra stage before the video interview, for example a phone interview or a technical exercise.
In the Civil Service, we use Success Profiles to evaluate your skills and ability. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, increases performance and improves diversity and inclusivity. We’ll be assessing your technical abilities, skills, experience and behaviours that are relevant to this role.
For this role we’ll be assessing you against the following Civil Service Behaviours:
- changing and improving
- communicating and influencing
- managing a quality service
We’ll also be assessing your experience and specialist technical skills against the following skills defined in the Digital, Data and Technology Profession Capability Framework for the Senior Business Analyst role:
- Business Analysis
- Business Modelling
- Requirements definition and management
Candidates that do not pass the interview but have demonstrated an acceptable standard may be considered for similar roles at a lower grade.
A reserve list will be held for a period of 12 months, from which further appointments can be made.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Posted by Cabinet Office Government Digital Service
Civil Service Technology Roles
Here at CDDO ( Central Digital & Data Office) we have some fantastic opportunities that can be based from our expanding Manchester office.