As a Senior Research & Evaluation Analyst you will support our ambitious programme of work to harness the power of data to provide an increasingly personalised experience for our users, and to help government improve policy and delivery through more holistic and powerful insights. This will include scoping and leading on new analysis to understand customer needs and expectations, as well as ensuring that we have a robust approach in place to evaluate the impact of key GOV.UK initiatives and products.
This will involve, but will not be limited to:
- lead in-house and externally commissioned research on horizon scanning, brand awareness and public attitudes to ensure that GOV.UK is able to keep pace with changing industry standards and user expectations, and working closely with other digital specialists to identify what this means for product innovation.
- working with other analytical colleagues to design and deliver a scalable model for generating and sharing insights across government.
- helping to set strategic direction for user insights and evaluation as we implement our ambitious strategy (see the GOV.UK roadmap and the GDS Strategy)
- working closely with product teams and other insight specialists (e.g. performance analysts, user researchers) to develop clear evaluation plans, drawing on quantitative and qualitative insights, to continually monitor the impact of the strategy
Skills and expertise:
We are looking for a highly-skilled customer/user insight specialist with experience of applying and evaluating customer/user insight approaches in either the public or private sector. You will be analytically curious, with a passion for delivering impactful insights that shape business change.
This is an exciting role for someone who is keen to deploy their analytical prowess within a high profile area of work. As GOV.UK supports a number of the country’s key priorities, this will be a highly varied and stretching role, supporting the delivery of actionable insights for GOV.UK and key stakeholders across government.
We are interested in people who:
- Are highly skilled in the synthesis of evidence and understanding from multiple sources (e.g. existing qualitative and quantitative research, management data and big data), to distil it down into holistic, tangible and meaningful actionable insight.
- Experienced in setting direction and insight on an analytical programme of work - including evaluation - from setting out clear research objectives and expected outcomes, developing key research questions and hypotheses, developing KPIs, utilising a range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies, to delivery of meaningful outputs for specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Experienced in establishing and maintaining excellent stakeholder relationships, and can credibly engage with, influence and gain the confidence of senior leaders and external influencers. Ability to work in partnership with other analysts within and outside government, and across departments to achieve high quality, robust and relevant input.
- Have excellent presentation skills with the ability to put research into business terms and bring insights to life – engaging and convincing stakeholders with the insights provided.
- Have knowledge and/or experience of the main approaches to policy evaluation (process, impact, economic and theory-based) and the use of logic models and theories of change, as outlined in HMT’s Magenta book guidance.
- Have knowledge and/or experience of agile approaches to project management and the digital transformation landscape and tools and KPIs.