We’re looking for a Mid - Senior level web developer with strong frontend skills alongside some full stack to work on building high-performing, user-friendly websites and eCommerce stores for clients spanning a variety of sectors.
Userism is a digital agency with a strong focus on User Experience for web & mobile. We help businesses to improve their online presence through 4 core services: Customer Journey Design, Web Design & Development (including eCommerce), Product Information Management (PIM) & Business Systems Integration.
We work within a range of sectors, but have a focus on Retail & Manufacturing, typically helping businesses within these sectors to organise their content and product data and present it more effectively online. We have a very in-depth design & discovery process, which ensures the end result customer-facing product not only looks great but functions well for the user and delivers the best results for the client.
At the moment, we are mainly delivering eCommerce stores and product showcase or business portfolio websites for our clients, but we also offer app development. We have a growing number of case studies that reflect a very high standard of work. Our QA process is detailed and ensures a high standard of delivery. To get a feel for the type of work we do, you can view some recent examples on our LinkedIn page and website.
What we’re looking for
We’re currently looking for an experienced developer to join our in-house team to work on the delivery of web builds. This role requires excellent front-end skills and a keen eye for detail. Your primary goal should be turning UI designs into pixel-perfect responsive layouts that render exactly as intended on every device type and size. Alongside that, you should be comfortable turning those layouts into usable templates for content management. An appreciation for web templating standards and some experience managing web builds through to deployment is ideal.
Whilst frontend is a key concern for our work, this role would suit someone who also has some full stack skills, as we are a small team you will be required to manage projects independently with limited support. Overcoming challenges through self-directed problem-solving will be important.
As someone with some experience working in previous agencies, you should be comfortable managing multiple projects. There will be a mix of small updates to existing builds and longer-term projects to support. Project sizes vary, but expect to take on builds that last up to 3-4 months at a time.
You will be joining a growing business. As an experienced developer, you will have the opportunity to guide other team members and help develop our processes and workflow as we continue to improve our digital development offering.
- Coding frontend flats from supplied designs (we follow an Atomic Design process in our development, building pages in a modular way to ensure code efficiency and consistency of styles)
- Creating SEO-friendly pages that use correct document outline hierarchy, load fast, and include all relevant elements for crawlers and screen readers
- Creating templates to be used in various frameworks and content management systems (theme development)
- Implementing frontend logic to enhance user functions (experience building progressive web apps advantageous)
- Managing dynamic content insertion (though a CMS or API driven)
- Quality Assurance & Testing (working with our designers to ensure a high standard of delivery)
- Managing deployment of projects to a live environment
- HTML5 (including an understanding of semantic layout principles)
- CSS (SASS)
- JS (Including some experience working with libraries)
- Theme development
- Working with dynamic content
- Working with GIT repositories
- Understanding or experience working with headless technologies (MACH)
- Understanding of Atomic Design principles
- Experience working with pattern libraries
- Agile working methods
Technologies we often work with (it would be advantageous to know if you have experience with these, but it's not essential for your application):
- Craft CMS
- Big Commerce
Ideally, you’ll have 3-5 or more years of commercial experience working in an agency environment. If you can demonstrate a well-crafted portfolio though, we’re happy to hear from you.
Salary is negotiable on experience.
We are building a team in Manchester City centre, UK. However, currently have a number of remote workers and expect this to continue for some time. The office is in Manchester so would suit someone looking for an on-site or WFH hybrid role. We’re happy to hear from those looking for remote work if you can commit to UK office hours Mon - Fri.
In your application, we would like to see:
- An up-to-date CV
- A portfolio of recent work
- GIT repo (if you have one)
- Live examples of front-end development work (that can be viewed as a user, not just a code repo)
Please apply online via our website here: https://userism.agency/careers/web-developer